Importance of Proper Handwashing Techniques

Infectious diseases can spread quickly, particularly when hands aren’t properly washed. We’ve all been told how important it is to wash our hands, particularly after using the bathroom, but many of us have seen someone leave the bathroom without washing their hands. Teaching children how to properly wash their hands from a young age is essential.

High-quality washroom supplies are needed to guarantee that washrooms are kept tidy and hygienic. Having a clean washroom space is known to help productivity and to boost people’s mood, which is why reliable supplies are necessary.

 

 

Handwashing Technique

According to the CDC, or Center for Disease Control and Prevention, there are five required steps you should take to ensure your hands are washed properly. You should run your hands under clean water – warm or cold – and wet them. The next step is to apply soap to your hands and lather them thoroughly by rubbing them together. Areas such as the back of your hands, between your fingers, and under your fingernails should also be washed properly. You should rub your hands, palm to palm, and interlace your fingers.

The minimum amount of time you should scrub your hands for is 20 seconds, or the length of time it takes to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ twice, before rinsing them under clean water. The final step is to dry your hands on a clean towel or to let them air dry. Should you not have clean water and soap nearby, you can utilise an alcohol-based sanitiser to wash your hands. A 60% alcohol is needed to ensure the number of germs is reduced.

 

Improper Handwashing

Although the CDC and other organisations such as the NHS have posters on how to properly and efficiently wash your hands, many people are either unaware of the proper practices, or they don’t follow them. Whether at the workplace or anywhere else, washrooms need to follow the highest of hygiene standards.

Around 70% of people wash their hands after leaving the bathroom, and only approximately 30% use soap. 20 minutes is all it takes for bacteria to grow and double in number and, as such, it’s vital to ensure people are aware that washing their hands for 20 seconds will help to greatly reduce the amount of bacteria and germs.

 

At CS4 UK we believe in supplying the highest quality of products for academic and public environments, which is why we always ensure that all of our washroom supplies are efficient and very hygienic. For more information about how we can help you, feel free to get in touch with us by giving us a call on 0800 107 7729. Our skilled team is always happy to answer any query you might have.

Alternatively, you can also find us on LinkedIn to see our latest updates.